"Goodnight"

I was coming on here, to my computer, to write about *boring* school stuff (By the way, I was using my 8-year-old son's voice for that part), but of course the force of Facebook was calling my name before I could focus on doing any writing (NO ... I'm not addicted ... ahem!).  As I was perusing through my home page, I came across a note from one of my dearly beloved childhood friends (Which, can I just say that I didn't even know "notes" were still an APP on Facebook??--awesome!--And, yes, I am aware that my technological skills reflect that of a person living in the dinosaur era).  

Ashlee's note really hit home for me and it was quite profound.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in the statistics and politics of the news in this world, that we forget how it would apply to our own individual, personal lives.. or in other words, we often judge or sympathize instead of trying to empathize.  With her permission, I would like to share Ashlee's message and pray that it sinks in for all parents, tonight, wherever you are, even if you aren't a professed Christian.

"Tonight, I was going through the boys normal bedtime routine with them: giving them their baths, brushing their teeth, getting their PJ's on, tucking them into bed, reading them a Bible story and then saying our prayers.  It was in the middle of reading them their Bible story when my mind turned to the children being tortured and killed for their faith in Iraq.  





I asked myself, 'If I had a choice to stand up for Christ and lose my boys, or deny Christ and keep my boys what would I choose?'  Tears then raced down my cheeks.  All I know is I would never want to be put in that position. However, many mothers fear that moment every day and we don't even bat an eye to it, here.  We put our jammies on our children, tuck them into their warm bed, snuggle deep down under the covers, open up our picture Bible and begin to read out loud.  

Meanwhile, other mommies are often laying on thin mats (if anything at all), shooing bugs away and trying to read by candlelight as they whisper very softly to their children in hopes that no one will hear. They fear that some stranger will bust into their huts, yank their children away and beat them or even kill them, because the Word of God is being spoken to these kids. Yet, knowing the risk and having the fear inside of them, jumping at every sound they hear, those mommies still lay down with their children and read them God's Word in hopes that their little ones will know their Savior some day.  

They know God's Word brings Hope...everlasting hope and joy in the morning.  You probably have a bedtime routine with your little ones, but next time you go through that routine, think about those other mommies with their babies and praise God because you are blessed.  Never take those special moments you have with your little ones, because they will not last forever.  Make each day count and always point them to Christ, praying to persevere no matter the circumstance.  

You were gifted with your little ones for a reason. They are your greatest treasure and a testimony of God's goodness.  Goodnight and sleep tight!"

Beautifully put, Ashlee.  Every parent in this world was delivered a blessing, and that is your child(ren).  Often times, those of us who are living in free countries take for granted our own faith and we do not understand the importance of investing our own time to teach our children to carry their own deep-rooted faith.  If your child was faced with a choice to stand up for their faith today, or die, how would you encourage them?

Hold your children, kiss your spouse, forgive those who have hurt you, overuse the phrase, "I love you," pray for one another, and always stand on your convictions...

Comments

Popular Posts