Thankful Thursday #4

I haven't written in a while.  This whole mommying 3 kids full-time crap is NOT for the birds.  It's more like for the bears.  Maybe that's why they call us momma bears ...

Anyway, needless to say, I have been in and out of my writing and trying to keep up with it as much as possible.  Usually, if I do have any time for writing it's spent on my articles.  But for some reason, I find the happiness and health of my family a little more important than the priority of blogging.  Go figure.  Which brings me to today's Thankful Thursday post:

Today, I am thankful for one and only one thing, but it's a major thing and people may raise their eyebrows at it ... because it's true!



I am thankful that my children are not perfect.


But more importantly, I'm thankful that I am capable of recognizing and admitting the fact that my children are not perfect.  I think that is key for us all.  Sure, I share a lot of photos and stories with social media that highlight the finer points of my children, but at the end of the day I know that Bubba has a HUGE temper problem, which I haven't quite mastered overpowering just yet, and an unhealthy addiction to video games that has caused him to not be allowed any gaming time at home.  I know that Sissy is a high-strung, handsy toddler who has had a few write-ups at Church (CHURCH!!! Did you see what I just wrote there?!? She has received write-ups at CHURCH of all places!!) for pushing other kids (I think it's safe to say we need to work on our sharing skills a bit more.) And, Fuzz Ball... well, okay, he may just possibly be perfect... except when he's waking me up at 4am every night, STILL, at 7 months old, because he's a glutton for milk and is soon going to be forced into a BA (Bottles Anonymous) group.

I can admit these things because I am able to look past them and see that having imperfect children does NOT mean I'm a bad mom, or that my children are bad.  I know I'm a good mom (but also, just like my children, imperfect).  Nobody is perfect, and children especially have room to grow.  Frankly, I don't like being accused of thinking my children are perfect, or even thinking that they're the best--especially when I've never said or done anything to give any indication like that.  We should all be partial to our own children, but we shouldn't worship the ground they walk on.

I am one of the last people you'll see comparing my children to others.  Every child deserves their own spot light, and I always try to make a point to compliment other children as well as their parents, where credit is due.  Children deserve recognition, not just from their own parents.  I think more parents should try doing that, instead of focusing on protecting their own kids and making sure they get all the attention.  I've seen the latter result in dividing adult relationships, and even cause parents to act like children, themselves.

So yeah, I'm thankful my children aren't perfect.  I learn a lot from their mistakes, almost just as much as I learn from my own!



Examples of my children being NOT perfect:







http://www.abeautifulruckus.com/
www.abeautifulruckus.com


Comments

Popular Posts