Google+

More About This Momma

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thankful Thursday

"The more forgiveness I share in my heart and the less bitterness I harbor, the more freely I live in my days."

I’m hoping to start a new segment in my blog, called “Thankful Thursdays.”  We’ll see how successful I am at getting posts written in time each week, but at least I’m off to a good start!




I try to be an optimistic person, but that doesn’t always work out so easily.  I am one who believes in trying to see the good in people, and that, too, is not always an easy task.  However, a few years ago, during one of my morning devotions, I felt the Lord speak to me through some verses.  It was during a hard stage in my life, and I was finding it difficult to want to even wake up and face my days.  To say that I was depressed is an understatement.  


But, on that one morning I realized that God was not happy with me; He showed me that I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself.  And He was right!  How could I shine a light and help others, including my son, if I was too busy feeling unappreciative for the blessings (or “lack, thereof”) in my own life?  After I broke out of that spell, I realized how many blessings I really did have but was too busy being selfish to see them.  It’s amazing what we keep ourselves from being able to see when we’re too busy focusing on ourselves.


That day, oodles of scripture started jumping out at me--scripture that, in time, I intend to share with my readers.  It was an intense and awesome experience.  It was like a detox for my spirit. I learned very quickly that the keys to staying positive and peaceful were 1) FORGIVENESS, and 2) THANKFULNESS.  Forgiveness, not only for others who have hurt you (though, that is equally important) but for yourself as well.  Thankfulness, not only for the good times but for the bad and hard times as well.


I thought about adding two segments to my blog: Thankful Thursdays and Forgiving Fridays.  And then I came to my senses and realized that nobody would want to read Friday’s posts.  I am seeing more and more that people do not like to discuss forgiveness.  So much of our world would rather live in bitterness and, just as I used to do, feel sorry for themselves.  Nobody wants to take ownership for their own actions, anymore.  Nobody wants to apologize!  I work very hard to teach my children to always apologize if they hurt someone, even if they don’t mean to, and to forgive those who have hurt them, even if they don’t ask for forgiveness.  I don’t know about the rest of you mothers, but teaching forgiveness to your children is not easy when you’re up against the world.  Shoot! I’ve even witnessed my son apologize to an elder woman in his own family and get rejected right in front of me.  


What is this world coming to when we can’t even rely on the “wise” to set correct examples for our children? Come to think of it, maybe we do need a Forgiving Fridays segment; a chance to be reminded of why forgiveness is so important--so healing, not just to the offender but ESPECIALLY to ourselves.  I know I sure could use a constant reminder of it! The more forgiveness I share in my heart and the less bitterness I harbor, the more freely I live in my days.  


But getting back to the Thankful part … since, you know, it is Thursday and I did say that I was going to talk about Thankfulness on Thursdays … I wrote about my husband, yesterday (Surprise, surprsie! I just love that man--I guess I can’t talk about him enough), and I feel like it would be the most fitting, appropriate post to get this Thankful Thursdays thingy-ma-bob kick-started.


The act of remembering things to be thankful for shouldn't only happen in November, at Thanksgiving.  We should start finding things to give thanks for in our lives, NOW! What are you thankful for this week? What are you thankful for at this very moment in your life?
Finding reasons to be thankful aren't easy for everyone. Some of us are struggling to find them.  Can you think of a friend or family member who may be struggling? Maybe even a stranger who pulled on your heart string as you passed them by? Give somebody in your life something to be thankful for, today. Make that *something* YOU! Call them and let them know you’re thinking about them.  Send them an encouraging note or flowers.  Simple gestures go a long way, and they could make a real difference in anyone’s life.  I challenge all of my readers to:


  1. Comment below with (at least) one thing that you’re thankful for.
  2. Find someone to encourage and uplift, and make them thankful for you!


It’s a pretty simple challenge, if I may say so myself.  So are you up for it?

"O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good; for his mercy endureth forever." Psalm 136:1
photo courtesy: www.doorposts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment


Slowing down long enough to appreciate the beautiful things that keep me busy!